Friday, June 15, 2012

A New (to me) Drum Carder!

More to talk about than seemed right for a single post, so here goes post number two of the day.

In other news, I found another piece of equipment I've been lusting after and it's now in my studio.  I've been studying up on drum carders for several months, and after trying out a friend's machine recently, had made up my mind that I would really like to have one for all the fiber I have dreams of processing.  After studying up on all the different carders available, I had decided on either a Pat Green, Strauch Finest, or a Fancy Kitty carder. All seem like good quality, well-built machines.  And users of all three are very happy with their products.   I finally determined that a Fancy Kitty "Big Tom" motorized carder was the one for me.  The biggest selling feature is that the drums are interchangeable.  So I could start with the standard 120TPI carding cloth and eventually purchase other drums with finer or coarser cloth depending on my needs.  Still expensive because the carding cloth is the costliest part of the machine, but still better space-wise and pocket-book-wise than buying multiple machines. 

I also lurked in the Fancy Kitty forum on Ravelry and was impressed with the customer service.  It seems as though every time someone mentions that they have a problem, Ron is there immediately to answer questions and even asking them to call so he can walk them through the steps.   And there are frequent follow-up posts saying that Ron spent considerable time on the phone and helped them solve their problems. 


So I had made up my mind what I wanted and decided to set aside a chunk of my paycheck every month until I had saved up enough to order directly from Ron.  In another moment of serendipity, a lovely lady from Missouri named Erin posted on Ravelry that she wanted to sell her Big Tom with not one, but two drums (90 TPI and 120 TPI) at a hugely reasonable price.  At the same time I had a windfall - not enough to buy the new drum carder, but enough to buy Erin's gently used one.

Isn't This the Coolest Thing?
 We talked on the phone several times and agreed on the price and shipping details.  A couple of clicks on Paypal, and the drum carder was packed up and on a UPS truck before I even caught my breath.  I emailed Ron at Fancy Kitty to ask if there were instructions on the carder.  He charged a very small price for the copies and I had them in the mail in two days.  That's good customer service.

I had decided that since it was such a big ticket item, and since Erin would want the delivery signed for, I should have it shipped to my office.  First mistake.  Wednesday morning bright and early, I got my text message from UPS saying that my package had been delivered.  Huh?  Not to my office.   Some searching on the UPS site and a live chat later, I learned that the truck driver opted to deliver to Central Receiving rather than to the building and room specified on the label.  So Central Receiving accepted it.  And put it on their truck for delivery to me that afternoon.  And of course my department was their last stop.  Just before close of business.  So much for my plan to unpack, assemble, and make sure it worked properly before taking it home.

Rushed home and before going to my Wednesday night class, I had just enough time to assemble it and briefly try it out. I did have a few tense moments at first. The big drum motor worked right off the bat but the licker in didn’t. Fiddled with things and found one plug that wasn’t all the way in. So got both motors working and put both drums in according to instructions I got from the Kitty people. Turned it on and nothing happened! Somehow I had managed to turn both of the speed dials all the way down.  Phew!

I tried it out on the Dorset wool I’ve been preparing and it was a disaster! I think the carder was working fine but the fiber needed more prep (or may need to be a felting project).  This photo shows the batt that refused to come together.  Lumpy and slubby and yuck.


 I thought the Dorset was not a fair test of the drum carder and certainly not a fiber for learning to fine-tune the drum placement, so I decided to try out some of my alpaca.  Since I had already successfully made several batts on a friend's drum carder, I knew what to expect.

First I took a few minutes to pick the fiber because there were loads of intact locks.   Used my Kaydessa picker, and it quickly turned the clumps into fluffy clouds of softness.

Don't think I've shown what it looks like.  It's an interesting and fairly innocuous looking box.


















Then you open it up and it's a lethal weapon!


















Here it is in action:


So I ran the picked alpaca through the carder, and still had problems getting smoothly from the licker-in to the big drum.  I certainly need to do some studying and adjusting before I get this right, but once I do, look out!  Major art batts coming soon.

Here's the first pass being taken off the drum.  Left behind quite a bit in the carding cloth and need to work on that skill as well.





























And here's the finished batt - after two passes through the carder.  Not quite a smooth as the ones made on my friend's machine but pretty good for a first try.  But you can clearly see that there are tiny (and some not-so-tiny) bits of VM throughout the fiber, despite vigorous cleaning and picking.  Guess I really do need that fiber tumbler.  Hmm...  wonder what my beloved woodworking nephew is doing this weekend?





6 comments:

  1. Hi! I had the same experience trying to card Dorset wool. It was awful. I'm new to all of this. What did you end up doing with it? I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's residing somewhere in a landfill. Of course a few months too late, a friend received a big box from Morro Fleeceworks containing several pounds of beautiful pin-drafted Dorset roving. She got her fleece from the same source as I did, so I guess it just wants professional preparation.

      BTW - I decided that there was too much alpaca for me to prepare by myself so I sent it off to Morro and they did a beautiful job preparing it. Not long ago I sent them a Cormo fleece and was delighted with the results. I'll still use the drum carder for blending stuff but for just fleece prep, I'm sending things to them. That's assuming I can't keep my promise to myself not to buy any more until I've spun up what I already have.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is that the distance between the drums are wrong for the Dorset wool. I asked around on facebook to learn what to look for in my new drum carder, and this is was I was advised to look for. A drumcarder where I could change the distance between the drums. If the distance was to narrow/wide your result is what I would get on the roving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’re right. The gap can be adjusted and I didn’t think of trying that at the time. But the Dorset was so nasty as a result of fermenting so long that it didn’t break my heart to give up on it.

      Delete
    2. I gave up on fermenting after the first try (the fibre smelled as if it had fallen into the bog of eternal stench), so I fully understand. But otherwise I believe by now that the secret to successful carding is perfect preparation - teasing by hand, taking out all the lumps, second cuts and most of the VM. I only use my (manual) carder for realigning the fibres and mixing colours and materials.

      But I really wanted to thank you for your review because I'm looking for a motorized carder. I'll have a look at the Ravely forum now.

      Delete

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!