Monday, June 4, 2012

Major Sulking, and a Little Progress

I'm coming out of a major sulk.  After a seriously fun day Friday receiving and assembling the little Mountain Loom, everything went to pot.   I went to the Friday night dance feeling great and ready to kick up my heels.  Danced one set and sat down to relax.  Within a few minutes I had a sore throat, headache, and no energy.  Finally excused myself and went home hoping it was allergies and not a cold.

Got up Saturday morning feeling even worse, but still held out hope that if I "rested" and took antihistamines, I'd shape up right away.  Finally gave in and canceled plans to attend my guild meeting and a dinner date George and I had with friends.  And pretty much slept the day away.  Poor Tallulah tried to be patient but by evening she needed to play -- and I just didn't have the oomph to amuse her.

Sunday morning woke up feeling even worse, and decided to take Tallulah to Yorkie Camp for an overnight visit.  Best thing I could have done for both of us.  She got to play with her little pals, and I got to sleep most of the day.

So three days, a quart of soup, and 8 popsicles later, I'm beginning to feel human again.  But still sulking about losing the whole weekend.  I really resent that I can't just keep going the way I used to.  Why is it that you don't really value your time until you start to realize that it's a limited commodity?

It wasn't a total loss.  During my conscious moments I did some knitting on the Moonlight Mohair stole/shawl.  In fact, I actually finished it this afternoon.  While knitting the last two feet, I kept wrapping it around my shoulders, waiting for it to drape the way I had in mind.  Finally realized this afternoon that it's not going to drape.  Sigh.  It has just a little too much substance.  So I finished it off at 92" in length.  Even though it's not what I imagined, I'm still pretty happy with it.



 I'm especially happy that it doesn't have the greenish haze I was beginning to see.  Now I just need an occasion to wear it.

The brooch at the shoulder is a hammered copper piece made by one of my Wednesday evening classmates, Brenda.  She has a business called "Designs By Brenda" and specializes in Celtic inspired jewelry.  I bought this Celtic dog brooch from her a few months ago.  I just love the intricate knots in this piece.


 So I'm ready to stop sulking, retrieve my dog from camp, get back to the office, and get some weaving done.  Need to order some yarn for my Krokbragd/Rosepath project warp.  In the meantime, I'm going to work on the apricot-colored scarf on the rigid heddle loom.  Here's a preview.




All of the materials came from a  Newton's Yarn Country sale.  I'm using a smooth warp thread  - the only label on the cone is "#3445 Peach."  The warp is a corkscrew yarn with irregular (both in size and location) slubs.  No info on the skein wrappers whatsoever.


 I love how the slubs make the woven fabric irregular and more 3-dimensional.  Although most of the time I would be having fits if the weave was not even, it's kinda fun to do this intentionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!