Friday, June 1, 2012

Meet the Mountain Loom!

Last time I wrote, I hinted about this -- telling of my regret about having sold my 18" Mountain Loom years ago.  I didn't want to put anything in writing until it was a done deal, but I'm now the proud owner of a 12" Mountain Loom!

I've been wanting to do a study of Krokbragd ever since the Collingwood workshop.  Been collecting resources and reading up on the topic -- and now think I will add Rosepath to the mix as well.  But I didn't want to do this on my Baby Wolf -- as much as I love that loom.  I don't want to keep hauling it out of the studio, and would like to be able to do this study in the living room... or the den... or wherever.  So-- guess who decided she NEEDED a portable loom?  And not just any portable loom, but a 12" (as much as I enjoyed using the 18", I have to admit it was NOT portable) Mountain Loom.

And having made that decision, my OCD led me straight to Ravelry, where I had seen someone listing just such a one for sale -- and with a stand.  I contacted the seller, who turned out to be a charming lady named Regina.  After several ups and downs (no fault of either one of us), including a despicable UPS authorized store that tried to gouge Regina outrageously on the shipping price he had previously quoted to her, the loom was at last on its way to me.

The timing actually couldn't have been better.  I happened to have scheduled a vacation day  for today a couple of months ago, so I was actually able to be home to sign for the box.  And what a box!  It was enormous -- because Regina had packed everything in so much bubble wrap and used enough packing peanuts that I think the loom could have survived any disaster thrown at it without so much as a scratch.  It took me nearly an hour just to unwrap everything. This is not a complaint -- I'm very grateful for the care she took with everything.

The loom and stand by themselves were in about 20 pieces (not including the eight harnesses).  After an initial moment of panic and frantic email to Regina, I took a deep breath and started sorting and assembling.  It turned out that she had actually marked all of the pieces very logically.  So I got the loom together without mishap, and had a good start on the stand before I had to look to Regina for answers.  To my delight, she had responded immediately and sent photos that made the stand assembly quite clear.  A few more emails back and forth with questions about fine details, and everything came together. 

So here's the newest addition.  Isn't it beautiful?



The stand is really cool.  This was custom-made by the lady who owned the loom before Rebecca.  I think it's going to be very functional.  And - yet another in a long line of recent coincidences - the boxes she used were made right here in Ontario, California.  I may do something about permanently attaching wheels to the stand, but that's a decision for another day.

The loom came with 5, 10, 12, and 15 dent reeds.  And Rebecca surprised me by sending along a raddle, lease sticks, extra texsolv heddles, bungee cords, and a tray very much like a Schacht Wolf Trap - wood frame with canvas "tray" - made just for this loom by a friend of hers.  And if that wasn't enough, she included two skeins of yarn spun from her very own alpacas' fiber.  I couldn't get a photo that does it justice -- it's a very rich dark brown color.  And so soft.  Next knitting project may be something cozy to wear right next to my skin. 




I checked out Rebecca's website, Howling Wolf Herbs, while all this was going on.  She is a master herbalist among her other skills, and sells a range of teas and personal care products, in addition to roving and yarns from her own animals.  Her herbal teas all sound really tasty and I'm not even a tea drinker!

Well, anyway, I'm thrilled to have this loom.  Now I think I have all the equipment I need.  Except maybe that fiber tumbler that Gail and I have been talking about building. And a motorized drum carder.  Or the portable outdoor sink for washing fleece and other goodies I don't want in the kitchen sink.  And maybe a few stainless steel pots for dyeing.  Or even better, a steam table!  Yeah, a steam table would be the perfect add-on to the studio.  Quick!  Somebody hide my checkbook and credit cards, and change my Paypal password.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!