Monday, November 25, 2013

At long last, I think I've found my calling!


I have been happily turning wood since my last post a month ago.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a table in my friend Gail's booth at WEFF to sell my sock blanks.  I took some of my wood items almost as an afterthought.  And sold enough of them to make it worth having gone, but not enough to make me quit my day job.  It was pretty thrilling to have the things I have so enjoyed making be appreciated.

Took the  pen class at Rockler, learned some new techniques, and had a ball.  Same students and teacher that were in the first class and it's a very congenial group.  Came home with a handful of beautiful pens.


Rather than writing more about this last month, I will let photos tell the story.

Shawl Pins:

Black Locust
Osage Orange

Black Locust

Black Locust


Birch

Birch







Nostepinnes
(these are yarn winding tools - about 9-12" long)



Tulip Poplar




Tulip Poplar





Hububalli

Tulip Poplar With Inlay






Black Locust

Redheart






Cherry



















 
Bocote
Laminated Dyed Birch Latchhook
Laminated Dyed Birch Nostepinne









And then there are the pens:
 




East Indian Rosewood
Bloodwood
Cocobolo

Honduran Rosewood

Cocobolo

Pen and Pencil Set in Black Palm



Bocote (Leaning on Zebra Wood Blank)

Zebra Wood



Spalted River Birch

Katalox with "Hieroglyphic" Inlays

Yucatan Rosewood

Bloodwood

Two Views of Bloodwood and Yellowheart with Maple Inlay- This One has a Clip

Two View of Bloodwood and Yellowheart with Maple Veneer and Mica Inlay - No Clip. Keeping This One for Myself!

Yucatan Rosewood

Purpleheart

Curly Maple

Purpleheart

Yucatan Rosewood

Honduran Rosewood

Wood with "Lapis" Inlay

Cherry

Carob

Padauk

Maple

Bloodwood

African Teak

Olive

2 comments:

  1. You do some really neat work! It looks like you're having a ball using your lathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. I am indeed having a ball using my lathe and just wish there were more hours in the day.

      Delete

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!