Thursday, April 28, 2022

Highlights of 2015

Again, so sorry I can't just leave a gap and start fresh.  Here goes with 2015. 

Most of my free time was spent doing deferred maintenance on my money pit home. You know how you suddenly see your surroundings with fresh eyes and realize how tired everything looks and you can't stand it?  So I had hardwood floors sanded and stained, concrete floors refinished, replaced all the single pane doors and windows with energy-efficient double pane models, rooms painted, rebuilt some cabinets, some furniture reupholstered some replaced, and some given away. And did a major purge of all the places I tend to store stuff.  And started a bathroom remodel.  But I did find time for a little fun...

In late July-early August, I was privileged to help organize the CSKMS conference in  Denver, Colorado. Takes a lot of stuff to run a conference - I packed up my van and hit the road a few days beforehand.   One of my sisters was nice enough to ride along and we made a few fun stops along the way.  She flew home before the conference, though, and missed most of the fun.

Ready to Hit the Road

The actual conference was great.  We had outstanding teachers, and I got to spend quality time with friends.  I didn't have much time to actually knit but when I did, I worked on, you guessed it, heels.  And before and after, a little time to go quilt shop hopping with my friend Carol.   And guess who was (then) not a quilter, but came home with several quilt kits and the quilting bug?

Knitting Room During Check-In




 

Heels


 I did get the change to take a class with Jenny Deters, who has several books and patterns available on her site and is a gracious and excellent teacher.  We did her easy lace beaded scarf. Even though I still consider myself a beginner, I was able to keep up in the class and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I still (yes, nearly five years later) need to put the finishing touches on the scarf, but I did manage to get all the knitting done in class.  You can't see my beads in the photo but I promise they're there.

 


 Side note having nothing to do with crafting:  if you stay at a hotel that has hot-tub rooms for not much more than regular rooms, take one!  I bought a bottle of cleaner and a scrubber and scoured the tub before using it, then I soaked my poor tired self every night.  Did wonders!

 

Hot Tub Room!

One of the highlights of the conference that we carried over from the New York event was the "Head over Heels for Vets" drive.  Members from all over the country donated 167 hats, scarves, and pairs of socks that were given to the Rocky Mountain Disabled Veterans.


 

 

In December, my sisters and I took a glassblowing workshop to make Christmas ornaments at Stone and Glass in Escondido.   I've always wanted to try glassblowing, and learned that it takes a LOT of lung capacity to do it.  None of us could get any air into the glass and had to have help. 

I've watched glassblowers many times at Jamestown and admired their skill, but until I tried it myself, I didn't have any comprehension of exactly how much skill is needed.  Think in terms of driving a car.  While trying to pour boiling hot coffee into a demitasse cup with one hand and dialing a phone with your toes.  While the person in the passenger seat is trying to control the gas pedal.  It takes teamwork, concentration, and tremendous skill.

Work Area with Colors Laid Out

 
Adding Color to an Ornament  (not mine)

 
 
 
Shaping an Ornament

My Finished Ornament

 So...  we got to choose our colors, and we got to have a hand in making the ornaments, but due to the fact that we were working with molten glass, the teacher and crew did the lion's share of the work.  After our ornaments were completed, they were put in a kiln to control the temperature of the glass while they cooled and we were able to return a few days later to pick up our ornaments.  

I loved every minute of the class, but learned that glassblowing is not for me.  I don't have the lung capacity, muscle, or the agility to avoid hurting myself or others around this level of heat.  Still not ruling out lampwork, though.

This is the only spinning I did the entire year - a silk/wool blend in shades ranging from peacock blue to teal.  This photo doesn't show the brilliance of the color - imagine the spindle as a bright turquoise and you have some idea of how saturated the yarn's colors are.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!