Friday, July 12, 2013

IEHG West Dye Fest June 1

Where does the time go? 

I've been to so many classes and group events, I can't even remember everything that's gone on since Studio 66. So I'm going to write a brief (for me) post for each of the highlights.  First...

IEHG West Dye Fest...  at the home of one of our members who has a dyeing station at her home.  We had jugs of the acid dyes left over from Studio 66, and did microwave dyeing on all sorts of things.   I got carried away with a gorgeous shade of turquoise and used it on nearly everything. 

Even though it was one of the hottest days of the season, we had such a good time playing with dyes and oohing and aahing over everyone's results. And of course I was so busy enjoying the moment, I didn't think to take photos.  We had drying racks full of the most brilliant colors all over the yard, and I just wish I could show them here.

By the way, I learned that Reduran does quite a good job at removing dye from skin.  Ask me how I know this.

A few days later, I realized that I hadn't taken any pictures so I took these with my phone.  Then learned that it captures turquoise as blue.  So the photos here have all been photoshopped to get back some of the actual color, but they don't do the real things justice.  Guess I'm going to have to break down and get some batteries for my digital camera.



Silk Hankies

More Silk Hankies

Mohair Locks.  There are actually twelve different combinations of colors - but the phone camera loses a lot of detail.

Wool Roving - looks pretty garish.  May overdye...

Just can't get the color anywhere near realistic on this.  I painted one long edge of this silk scarf with teal and the other with purple, and let them blend in the center.

I started with turquoise on the ends of this scarf and added a little teal every few inches as I painted toward the center.

Wool roving - pure turquoise

More wool - turquoise with more purples and pinks than shows here.

This was a really ugly yellowy-beige wool that made my eyes hurt.  I squirted some red, pink, and purple dyes on it randomly and got this gorgeous coloring.  Now wish I'd had more of that ugly stuff.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!