Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thor is Complete!

There's something about accessories that brings out the OCD in me.  I can't seem to get piece of equipment without obsessing about acquiring every possible accessory that I might NEED someday.  (Note to self:  don't ever buy another sewing machine that has 20 bazillion presser feet again!)

Tuesday's mail brought something special all the way from the Netherlands for Thor -- the distaff that Moswolt sold as an option to the M1 and M2 wheels .  It even has a hank of what I assume is flax tied to it.  Now Thor has everything.  These are just about impossible to find and I was very lucky.

Here is Thor with distaff and reel installed, along with his other goodies.

 I found this wonderful Dutch company - Low Lands Legacy - that had a photo of a Moswolt M1 with the distaff attached on their site.  Funny thing was that I was not even searching for Moswolt at the time.  I had just seen a gadget called a Bogway Handspinner and wandered into their site looking for more information on it.  So I emailed to ask and lo... they had a distaff for sale.  

Hans and Gerrie were very kind -- they concentrate their business in the Netherlands and rest of Europe, but agreed to ship to the U.S.  They were able to fill me in on more of the Moswolt company's history:

" The Moswolt spinning wheels were produced in ‘De Achterhoek’ (a region in the Mid-East of Holland). Originally it was a furniture mill and they also produced spinning wheels in de ‘70’s. The company doesn’t exists anymore. And therefore you won’t find anything on the internet. We do have the original Moswolt brochure. You can have a copy if you want to. Nowadays the Moswolt has become a collector’s item and rather rare to find. Even more rare is the distaff."

I already had a copy of the brochure translated into English, but here it is in the original Dutch:



And by now you know that I couldn't pass up the little Bogway -- me and my gadgets!  People either seem to love it or hate it - I played with it a little bit and have to say it's kinda fun.  Who knows - using it may help firm up my flabby arms (gotta remember to switch hands occasionally) or maybe scare off muggers.


Here it is in action.  Not in English, but you can get the idea, anyway.


The rest of the Angelina fiber order arrived yesterday, just in time to take it to my class.  Can't wait to see how everyone uses theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments to weed out trolls and keep my blog family friendly. That said, I welcome your comments and questions!

If blogger won't let you comment for some reason, come over to Ravelry and find me. I'm NewSpinster there!